Garmaine Staff asked 3 years ago

I've had moldy, leaky silicone in my shower for a while, and decided it's time to replace it. But I got over-eager in pulling it out and got a chunk of an also-moldy rubber seal/spacer/gasket that's between the tub and the metal frame. There's a picture below. Right now, I'm trying to figure out three things:

  1. What's it called, anyway?

  2. Should I worry about the fact that I took out a chunk of it, or just reapply silicone over the space (and maybe try to fill the space with silicone)?

  3. It's pretty moldy — can it be removed or replaced without taking the glass side off?

a chunk of clear, but moldy, rubber the width of the shower glass has come out from in between the glass and the tub

Any thoughts that help me avoid setting myself up for future leaks would be super helpful.